EYE-BALL Opinion – Conroy’s Proposed Media Overlord – If the Government lifted its game – then perhaps the media have an incentive to do the same –
Latest ‘EYE-BALL Opinion’ Posts:
– 12th Mar – The Speaker of the House Fails all Australians – Question time is a farce, avoiding accountability –
– 11th Mar – On Education – ‘The Munsters’ style – Bowen and Garrett put on a show –
– 10th Mar – The Nation is Slipping Away – can you feel it? –
– 9th Mar – The Dribble … it’s just so exhausting …
– 6th Mar – Journalist’s – the perils of Slow News Days –
– 5th Mar – Gillard and Rooty Hill – why not Gillard helping the WA Election Campaign –
– 4th Mar – Gillard and her ‘Rent a Crowd’ – It’s all about – Me…Me…Me… & I…I…I… –
– 4th Mar – Abbott still in chase mode – Will he ever choose to be a Leader –
– 3rd Mar – Government – The Best PONZI Scheme ever –
– 28th Feb – Media Ownership Agenda – The Gillard Asylum trying to shoot the messenger –
– 27th Feb – Governance under Gillard – No Care and No end Responsibility –
– 26th Feb – Gillard – ‘Dead Woman Walking’ –
– 25th Feb – Gillard – Killing You Softly –
– 19th Feb – The “Asylum Welfare Union Assoc” [AWU-A] – Incorporated by Gillard, for the benefit of Gillard, and sacrificed by all for Gillard –
– 19th Feb – The Peter Slipper AFP Charge Sheet –
– 19th Feb – The Australian’s Hedley Thomas on – Gillard’s links to Federal Court candidate Bernard Murphy – not revealed –
– 19 Feb – Gillard – A Leadership Bully – Woman with Balls proves she is no Leader –
– 19th Feb – Gillard – Leadership Bully –
– 19th Feb – A ‘Sports Doping’ Update – a ploy to kill the Obeid and Thompson news cycle –
– 17th Feb – Politics has lost its ‘Bling’ – the shallowness of Social media reflected in politics –
– 17th Feb – The Australian Parliament – Question Time – Standing Orders – and the abuse of –
– 7th Feb – Telstra Corp and their Bigpond service – again failing to respect their customers …
– To see more EYE-BALL ‘Opinion’ posts:
– Conroy’s Proposed Media Overlord –
– If the Government lifted its game – then perhaps the media have an incentive to do the same –
| Author: EYE-BALL Opinion | 14th Mar 2013 |
|The Communications Minister Stephen Conroy in more recent times, probably since he became the Leader in the Senate, lives up to his Union thug status if his performances in the Senate, and in his media confrontations are used as a measure. It would appear it is his sworn duty to kick heads when his Leader asks him to.
Conroy is a modern-day Neanderthal in the true sense of the word. He is cumbersome with the truth, he has limited oratory skills, his ability to communicate is two-speed, dumb and dumber, and is Rudd’s greatest mistake.
Why did Rudd give this boofhead any Ministerial profile when he was such a poor performer from the start? The folly is revealed now – but to give him the Communications portfolio was like giving matches to a little boy who likes to play with fire.
Having completely lost the plot over the NBN rollout as it grins to a halt amid new delays caused by the recent QLD floods – with new evidence arising over the current rollout structure and its failure to protect the system from water damage – Conroy has assumed a new challenge in jumping to his Leaders finger snap when she cried foul again over her long-held view that News Ltd attacks against her and her Government were malicious, inaccurate, and at times defamatory.
The ‘Liar’ chant from the public gallery during Question Time this week was hurled at Gillard as a measure of public frustration at her refusal to vacate the PM position amid high speculation that she just cannot function in the job. More so it is viewed as a measure of the public’s perception that the Government has been reckless in handling of the economy.
It proves the electorates angst is festering and motivating public displays of emotion. The mistrust and lack of respect for this Government is obvious. In all there were three evictions from the public Gallery during Question Time this week for abusive comments directed at Gillard. These outbursts followed the ‘Rooty Hill’ outburst caught on camera last week as the abused was held at bay by security.
Perhaps if the Government did not avoid its accountability when asked Questions by the Opposition on important matters like ‘the budget surplus backflip’, they might understand that it is they who are contemptible, it is they who are disrespecting the process of Government, it is they who have lied to the public and produced evidence of corruptible behaviour, it is they who owes the electorate answers to legitimate questions being asked by the Opposition and the media at large. It is the only form of accountability any Government has – the media and Opposition are the only mediums where the public are kept informed of the Governments performance.
Conroy is living his fantasy lap-dog adoration for his Leader when he tries to find support for the proposed new Media Laws Legislation aimed at culling the media’s ability to abuse, call to account, and denigrate the Government for their failures – of which there are too many to mention.
The proposed Legislation wants an ‘Overlord’ to regulate media content and is being read into the House as this post is being written as a ‘1st Reading’. The position of Oakeshott and Windsor whose votes will be needed to get it through the House are unknown.
More recently – the now resigned former AG – Nicola Roxon – also attempted to curb ‘free speech’ through her own Legislation. This was met with rock-wall solidarity from all sectors of the media and community watchdog groups. Roxon’s Legislation will fail despite the new AG Dreyfus is trying to amend the bill to appease many.
If a Government does not like the message the media portray, broadcast, or discuss, then it is only out of desperation that a Government will try to amend media legislation to curb what is printed and published.
We know where that leads from past history and the ‘Daily Telegraph’ tried to be blunt when it ran the caption and image at right in their daily tabloid.
The outrage by media outlets friendly to the Government including the ABC – have castigated the portrayal of Conroy as a new member of the despots he is aligned with in the front page linkage.
On the ‘7:30 Report’ during the week – Leigh Sales had this to say in her defense of the criticism aimed at ‘News Ltd’ and the ‘Daily Telegraph’ for the above portrayal – full transcript linked here – with video of interview with ‘News Limited’s’ Editorial Director Campbell Reid…
When Leigh Sales asks the question highlighted …
… I think Sales has applied double standards when she makes the above statement in the context of this Governments demonstrated long term contempt for the process of Government.
I believe this Government has a proven track record of lying, of not responding ‘directly’ to questions asked in the House, is a Government who hides its mistakes and attempts to hide and covers then up. Swan’s recent misdirection when using the ‘nominal GDP’ debate all meant to obfuscate and confuse critics looking for simple answers to debt increases, economic slowdown, the two-speed economy, and I mean the East Coast versus the West and Northern coasts, and the resultant budget blowout.
When the media point out the shortcomings of so many Ministers, and the PM, and embarrasses the Government in the process – the response by this Government has been to try and re-regulate media laws to restrict content, and to appoint a higher authority to monitor ‘free press’ publications.
Leigh Sales is out-of-order here in her defence of Conroy.
The recent increased funding allocated to the ABC by the Government and outside the normal timing for regular budget discussions, reeks of a pay-off to reward the ABC support for the Government, and perhaps with an election looming, there was some innuendo that the ABC could help the Government win the election.
Leigh Sales can hardly be seen as impartial in this scenario …
Conroy has a long track record of failure as a Minister – he has been in charge of the NBN and its $40 billion budget from the outset.
He is continually fronting the media to explain about delays and cost overruns and never brings good news. He always tries to put a positive spin on the bad news but fails every time. Conroy has ties to Obeid and used his hospitality as was revealed during the recent ICAC inquiry. Conroy only updated his interests register after this association was revealed – a sign that there is more to come or that Conroy does not know what a financial benefit is anymore, if he ever did.
If the Government does not like the current media message – or the way the public have responded – perhaps they should look inward and discuss their performance in an honest and up-front way. Perhaps being up-front and taking responsibility for failed budget forecasts and expenditure before revenues were collected. Perhaps admitting and coming clean on the debt ceiling Hockey asked in the House as opposed to attacking the Opposition over a forecast budget hole that has no relevance whatsoever.
Conroy is and has been in overreach mode ever since he entered the Senate … he should of stayed a superannuation officer and research assistant for the TWU – his APH bio linked here ….
|Please – if you found this story to your liking and would like to promote it to your social media contacts – i.e. Twitter, Facebook, or other icon linked account below – please use/click on your favoured Icon(s) to promote the story. Thankyou.
Have your say where it counts: – contact your Local Federal Representative via the links below and let them know how you feel about this, or any other topic that you feel strongly about – or you can just post a comment below and let off some steam.
Links to Australian Parliamentary Website – MP’s
The EYE-BALL Opinion …
|The views and opinions contained within this web-site are private and made with the intention of creating free debate among anyone who reads or wishes to make comment. All non-spam generated comments will be posted. Comments and opinions are expressed and made without personal PREJUDICE or MALICE. They are not meant to offend but to purely enlighten readers of an opinion that might not be considered MAINSTREAM. Please enjoy the site and feedback is very welcome.|
EYE-BALL Site Tag Search:
EYE-BALL Categories Search
Search Posts Monthly:
EYE-BALL’s Posts Archive …
Most Recent Posts:
- EYE-BALL’s new Blogsite … August 14, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion – Goodbye and Farewell … for now – August 11, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” – The Campaign Trail – Day 4 August 8, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” – The Campaign Trail – Day 3 August 7, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” – The Campaign Trail – Day 2 August 6, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” Day 1 – The Campaign Begins – August 5, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion’s “None of the Above” campaign – We don’t trust our Leaders – August 5, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Snoop-Poop – Ricky Stuart – NRL Supercoach!!! Poor, Poor, Parramatta – August 4, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Herman on – Federal Economic Update – A conjuror’s spin – August 2, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion – EYE-BALL’s MediaZone Growl No: 4 – Australia’s Media Horde July 30, 2013
- EYE-BALL Guru
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.6 –
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.5 –
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.4 –
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.3 –
- EYE-BALL JokeZone
- EYE-BALL MovieZone
- F.C.A.T.A. Web Master
- TE-BO Harry's Growl
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 51 – The US Back Gillard – Poor Call or Poor Form –
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 50 – Rudd’s House of Pain, He must learn that ‘less is more’ –
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 49 – Shorten has to be made accountable –
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 48 – Gillard’s “Mrs Doubtfire” moment –
- TE-BO - [The EYE-BALL Opinion]