EYE-BALL Opinion on – Immigration and Asylum Seekers Part IV – The Bill and the Debate…
Immigration and Asylum Seekers
… Part IV …
… The Bill and the debate …
28th June 2012.
Links to the – The Migration Legislation Amendment (The Bali Process) Bill 2012:
– currently before the Australian Senate – 28th June 2012:
Links to United Nations Refugee Links:
Copies of Selected Members of the House of Representatives and their speeches to this Bill: – extracted from Hansard records 27th June 2012 – linked here..
These two MP’s outshone everybody else in this House debate … Mr Hockey showed his emotive side in his deliverance, and Mr Turnbull who spoke without aid or script, gave an indication why he would make a PM of stature given another opportunity.
The context of the above speeches was replicated by many other MP’s as well – all with the same intent … the debate on this Bill continues in the Senate and is expected to be defeated along party lines.
This makes the events over the last two days worth reviewing – the media and public outcry has been appeased – the tragic loss of like is no longer the media focus, and the ‘indulgence’ of having seen to be trying to do something has ben accomplished. SO in summary terms and as the parliament heads to a six week Winter recess, the Government seems to have placated all vested interests except for the continuing stream of ‘asylum seekers’, and the future people who will die in seeking to pursue their challenge.
Let us for a moment review all the comments made by the Politicians – who I would be willing to bet have all not read the material provided via the above UNHCR links … they have all expressed empathy for the loss of life, and for the people who have lost loved ones, they have extended congratulations and condolences to the Australian Maritime and Military services who made the rescues – they have spoken about the off-shore processing, the UNHCR Refugee Convention – the Malaysian solution and yet – the three parties, GREENS, ALP, and the COALITION, along with the five Independents, Katter, Windsor, Wilkie, Thompson and Slipper, have not found the common ground to move to a Bill that will pass the Senate.
The HOR Debate: 27th June 2012
From 2:00pm the debate on Mr Oakeshott’s bill proceeded with an Amendment Bill put forward by the Opposition (Sponsored by Mr Morrison) – to exclude the Malaysian solution from the Oakeshott Bill. Debate went on for almost 5 hours before a vote on whether to vote on the Morrison Amendment was introduced – at 18:42pm the House voted on whether to put the Morrison Amendments to the House – – that was defeated 73-72 – The GREENS Member Brant did not vote, Slipper was not in the House, there was pairing for ALP Member Rowland, and the Speaker can not vote – and that accounts for the 150 HOR numbers.
Immediately after a new division at 18:48pm happened – the House went to a vote on whether to accept the Morrison Amendments – this was defeated 74-72 with The GREENS Member Brant voting with the Government.
immediately after 18:52pm – the Member for Denison, Independent Wilkie sought leave to introduce his ‘Sunset Bill’ amendment – this went to a vote – 19:00pm as to whether Wilkie’s Amendment could be presented – it was successful 75-71 – with Independent Bob Katter voting with the Government – he had voted with the Opposition on the previous two votes.
Debate ensured and at 19:36pm the vote to have the Amendment voted upon was put and won by the Government 75-71 along the same lines as the previous vote. The debate ensured and when the vote on the Wilkie Amendment to the bill happened at 19:52pm – the vote was again won with a 74-72 result – the Greens Brant voting for the Opposition.
In all that five odd hours of emotive crapola – Brandt and Katter were the only ones who flip-flopped between both sides. It achieved nothing – deals were done to ensure the vote and when the Wilkie vote was in division – Pyne and Bishop were up with the Independents out of camera shot, but with the eyes of the whole House gazing in that direction – you knew that lobbying was happening.
The days proceedings was engaging – yet the outcome was yet again extremely disappointing. If RUDD wants to again be leader – and had he crossed the floor on the Morrison Bill vote – that would have been an outcome. RUDD would have defined himself and Gillard would now be an afterthought. The media would have run with Rudd’s decision on humanitarian grounds, the electorate would have championed his decision and the ALP would have been forced to accept what fucking dickheads they have been.
Look – I don’t support any off-shore processing. I think with the demand for off-shore workers, skilled and unskilled to help with the mining industry – there was an opportunity to open up the immigration numbers.
In the previous Part I of this series of posts I advocated a 2 million immigrant policy. I further expand on that now to suggest that the current 150,000 a year policy be increased to 500,000 a year over the next four years. Have Australia visit the Refugee camps to lobby the refugees with skills and the want to resettle in Australia after a vetting process to determine their status. There is obviously a lot more to this than explained hereto – but the general point is that we can accommodate more refugees if we want to grow this Nation.
After WWII the World open its arms – why is there now reluctance to do so – not just by Australia – but by most western democracies? Is it a ‘muslim’ problem – if that has some connection then drafting an Australian Entry declaration is an easy solution – remember the separation of ‘church and state’ debate … if it’s racial motivated then those responsible need to be exposed.
It is time that Leadership took responsibility as opposed to lawyers acting as Leaders advocating debate and more debate that only gives ego merchants in Gillard and Abbott a platform to sell their sloth.
Wake up Australia.
Have your say where it counts: – contact your Local Federal Representative via the links below and let them know how you feel about this, or any other topic that you feel strongly about – or you can just post a comment below and let off some steam.
The EYE-BALL Opinion …
|The views and opinions contained within this web-site are private and made with the intention of creating free debate among anyone who reads or wishes to make comment. All non-spam generated comments will be posted. Comments and opinions are expressed and made without personal PREJUDICE or MALICE. They are not meant to offend but to purely enlighten readers of an opinion that might not be considered MAINSTREAM. Please enjoy the site and feedback is very welcome.|
EYE-BALL Site Tag Search:
EYE-BALL Categories Search
Search Posts Monthly:
EYE-BALL’s Posts Archive …
Most Recent Posts:
- EYE-BALL’s new Blogsite … August 14, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion – Goodbye and Farewell … for now – August 11, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” – The Campaign Trail – Day 4 August 8, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” – The Campaign Trail – Day 3 August 7, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” – The Campaign Trail – Day 2 August 6, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” Day 1 – The Campaign Begins – August 5, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion’s “None of the Above” campaign – We don’t trust our Leaders – August 5, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Snoop-Poop – Ricky Stuart – NRL Supercoach!!! Poor, Poor, Parramatta – August 4, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Herman on – Federal Economic Update – A conjuror’s spin – August 2, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion – EYE-BALL’s MediaZone Growl No: 4 – Australia’s Media Horde July 30, 2013
- EYE-BALL Guru
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.6 –
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.5 –
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.4 –
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.3 –
- EYE-BALL JokeZone
- EYE-BALL MovieZone
- F.C.A.T.A. Web Master
- TE-BO Harry's Growl
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 51 – The US Back Gillard – Poor Call or Poor Form –
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 50 – Rudd’s House of Pain, He must learn that ‘less is more’ –
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 49 – Shorten has to be made accountable –
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 48 – Gillard’s “Mrs Doubtfire” moment –
- TE-BO - [The EYE-BALL Opinion]