EYE-BALL Opinion on – Immigration and Asylum Seekers Part II – Dumb and Dumber – Politicians too scared to act …
– Immigration and Asylum Seekers –
Part II …
… Dumb and Dumber – Politicians too scared to act …
28th June 2012.
The House passed Oakeshott’s Bill with the Wilkie Amendment in the evening hours last night. It was a full six hours of emotive debate that all who understand had never a chance of ever becoming Legislation. So why go there – why give the appearance that this was essential debate over essential Legislation that had no chance of ever achieving anything at all.
To many these seemed genuine from the outset – but in following the timeline of events it has more to do with responsive policy as opposed to anything to do with a solution to the ‘asylum seeker’ problem. Gillard was all about denying Abbott any semblance of a victory in the House.
The blame on this outrageous charade over a matter that Australians feel deeply about rests with the Independents and the Labour backbench’s who voted in favour of the Bill.
The Greens stuck to their policy, the Opposition caved and offered up off-shore processing except for the Malaysian solution – and Gillard and her Government yielded on the Nauru option. If Gillard had of yielded on the Malaysian option the Bill with the amendment offered by the Opposition would have passed in the Senate and we would have had Law and a move forward to a solution to the ‘asylum seeker’ problem.
There are many in the ALP Caucus who don’t support the Malaysian option yet they voted for it. This once again demonstrates why democracy is not at work in this Nation. The Media in this matter are as useless as a ‘soft-cock’ – they flap around and create ambiance background – but they don’t ask the questions that need to be asked.
A simple question to ALP Members who are known to be against the Malaysian option needed to be asked why they voted the way they did. They have to be exposed to be Party first and everything else a distant second.
The same can be said for the Independent Wilkie – he spoke of his horror at being forced to vote for a Bill with the Malaysian solution still a part of the Legislation – knowing that it would fail to pass the Senate. There is no excuse for Politicians who do not vote their conscience and do deals to advance their own agenda’s as a compromise.
Constitutionally – any Governor General with Australia as the priority would be taking a close interest on what is happening. Our GG has a conflict of interest – her son-in-law is a Member of the Cabinet and a mooted contender for the PM job. What can she do – the Australian Constitution has this to say:
These clauses give the GG clear authority to reject the Legislation as the agent for the Queen if she does not agree with the Bill.
She will not do it – the Sir John Kerr dismissal of the Whitlam Government in the early 70’s was the last time the GG caused a double dissolution election. It lives on in infamy as a part of Australia’s history and this GG is no John Kerr. If the GG rejected this Bill if it did pass the Senate – it would send a clear message to PM Gillard that she is not a rubber stamp. The GG has a responsibility independent of the role of Government – she must in all good conscience act as the Queen would want her to act. If she does not – then her position is nothing more then ceremonial and this Nation should rid ourselves of this wasteful pomp and frill expense and luxury. We need Leaders who are prepared to lead – not follow like sheep.
Since the Bill passed last night the media has focused on the froth and none of the substance. A bad Bull remains a bad bill – the urgency in which Gillard acted in reintroducing Oakeshott’s Bill that was on hold since late last year and not resurrected as a response to Abbott’s intention to introduce his own Bill to the House is a matter that the media have not pursued. If not for the two boat tragedies in the last week and the loss of life – the House would not even be debating this issue. It is the truest indication that this Government is all about responsive policies and will do anything to halt opposition strategy.
Gillard’s tone-change when she fakes her empathy for the loss of life is as transparent as a woman on the ‘rags’. Given all the emotion on display in the House yesterday – Albanese, The Labour Whip, and Cabinet Ministers ensured that wavering ALP Members stayed loyal. It was the same on the Opposition side with MP’s from that side of the House threatening to cross the floor to ensure that some sort of Legislation was enacted.
If ever RUDD had an opportunity to stick it to Gillard – his humanitarian instinct would have had him support the Opposition amendment – his stocks have fallen in the eyes of this author.
Southern Asia is the king of the ‘sex-trade’ industry in our part of the world – doing a ‘people-swap’ i.e. we send them 800 and they send us 4000 is at the grass root level a policy that lends counterparty support to people trafficking.
How can any person with a humane conscious vote in favour of a policy that has this as an outcome?
Member’s might want to hang their hat’s on the fact that they believe that the Legislation will not be passed by the Senate – that is a ‘bee’s-dick’ excuse – why not have the balls to cross the floor and make a statement to the Leaders – why sit steely in the camp protected by all those around you telling yourselves that ‘safety in numbers’ will give you some protection when a stroll across the floor will give us all hope that at least some of our Leaders have balls.
This is why the Australian electorate have contempt for this Gillard Government, and all politicians who are afraid to vote against their party allegiance.
Have your say where it counts: – contact your Local Federal Representative via the links below and let them know how you feel about this, or any other topic that you feel strongly about – or you can just post a comment below and let off some steam.
The EYE-BALL Opinion …
|The views and opinions contained within this web-site are private and made with the intention of creating free debate among anyone who reads or wishes to make comment. All non-spam generated comments will be posted. Comments and opinions are expressed and made without personal PREJUDICE or MALICE. They are not meant to offend but to purely enlighten readers of an opinion that might not be considered MAINSTREAM. Please enjoy the site and feedback is very welcome.|
EYE-BALL Site Tag Search:
EYE-BALL Categories Search
Search Posts Monthly:
EYE-BALL’s Posts Archive …
Most Recent Posts:
- EYE-BALL’s new Blogsite … August 14, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion – Goodbye and Farewell … for now – August 11, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” – The Campaign Trail – Day 4 August 8, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” – The Campaign Trail – Day 3 August 7, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” – The Campaign Trail – Day 2 August 6, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s – “On the Hustings” Day 1 – The Campaign Begins – August 5, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion’s “None of the Above” campaign – We don’t trust our Leaders – August 5, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Snoop-Poop – Ricky Stuart – NRL Supercoach!!! Poor, Poor, Parramatta – August 4, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Herman on – Federal Economic Update – A conjuror’s spin – August 2, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion – EYE-BALL’s MediaZone Growl No: 4 – Australia’s Media Horde July 30, 2013
- EYE-BALL Guru
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.6 –
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.5 –
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.4 –
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – Special EYE-BALL Guru Report – The Economic Triggers Part 2.3 –
- EYE-BALL JokeZone
- EYE-BALL MovieZone
- F.C.A.T.A. Web Master
- TE-BO Harry's Growl
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 51 – The US Back Gillard – Poor Call or Poor Form –
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 50 – Rudd’s House of Pain, He must learn that ‘less is more’ –
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 49 – Shorten has to be made accountable –
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 48 – Gillard’s “Mrs Doubtfire” moment –
- TE-BO - [The EYE-BALL Opinion]