Home > Current Affairs, Human Interest, Human Rights, Politics - Domestic, Politics - International, The EYE-BALL Opinion > EYE-BALL Opinion on – The UN – as useless as a Bull with no dick!!!

EYE-BALL Opinion on – The UN – as useless as a Bull with no dick!!!

The-EYE-BALL-Opinion-Header-2
Title:
The UN – as useless as a Bull with no dick!!!
This morning at a special gathering if the UN Security Council called to discuss the Syrian crisis – the best the UN could come up with was a resolution that was toothless as a ‘fire ants’ with no fire.

When will World Leaders call a spade a spade and get their collective ass’ out of their self-serving and perpetuating condoning of the slaughter of innocents. This is a ‘genocide’ – we’ve seen in in Bosnia, Rwanda, Libia, Tunisia, Balkans, and many other ‘hot-spots’ around the world in the last century, and that does not include the two World Wars, of the other major conflicts including Vietnam, Kuwait, Korea, Indo China, South America, and so on – it is abhorently irresponsible that the World Leadership does not recognises the ‘genocide’ taking place and the best it can do is slap the Syria Leadership on the wrist and tell them to withdraw the military tanks and troops.

Read the ABC story on this below: [Linked On-line here.]

Security Council condemns massacre in Syria

| Updated May 28, 2012 10:02:55 |


The UN Security Council has condemned the Syrian regime over the massacre of more than 100 people in the town of Houla.

A statement agreed by the 15-nation council, including Syrian ally Russia, said the attacks “involved a series of government artillery and tank shellings on a residential neighbourhood” and again demanded that President Bashar al-Assad withdraw heavy weapons from Syrian towns.

UN observers in Syria saw at least 108 bodies in Houla including 49 children and at least seven women, UN officials said.

What happened in Houla?

- Houla is a cluster of Sunni Muslim villages 20 kilometres north of the city of Homs.

- Activists say the area is near a region inhabited by members of Mr Assad’s minority Alawite sect that has been acting as a hub for pro-Assad militiamen.

- Activists say the killing started when Syrian troops and militiamen loyal to Mr Assad, known as shabbiha, stationed at roadblocks that surround Houla, and fired heavy machine guns at a demonstration in the area on Friday, killing five people.

- They say Free Syrian Army rebels responded by attacking two roadblocks manned by Mr Assad’s loyalists.

- They say Houla then came under an intense artillery barrage that killed about 15 villagers.

- They say members of the shabbiha militia then entered Houla from the nearby Alawite villages and killed scores of men, women and children by hacking them or shooting them at close range. But the Syrian government says the massacre was carried out by terrorists after fighting between rebels and forces loyal to Mr Assad.

- It says no Syrian tanks entered Houla and government troops in the town only acted in self defence.

“The members of the Security Council reiterated that all violence in all its forms by all parties must cease. Those responsible for acts of violence must be held accountable,” said the statement, released this morning.

Britain’s UN ambassador Mark Lyall-Grant said that the council statement, while important, was not enough.

“Over the next two days, the Security Council will be meeting again to discuss in more detail what steps need to be taken,” he told reporters.

The Syrian government has denied responsibility for the massacre, and Syria’s ambassador to the UN said the meeting had been told a “tsunami of lies”.

“Women, children and old men were shot dead. This is not the hallmark of the heroic Syrian army,” foreign ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi said in Damascus.

“We categorically deny that Syrian government forces are responsible for this massacre, and we condemn in very strong terms this terrorist and clearly criminal massacre of Syrian youths, girls and and old men.

“We are sorry that some people make hasty judgments about events.”

Instead, the government blamed “terrorists” for the deaths.

“We have set up a military and legal committee to investigate,” Mr Makdissi said.

“The results will emerge within days.”

UN-Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan is to brief the Security Council on the Syria crisis at a new meeting on Wednesday.
Witnessing horror

Witnesses in Houla said men were shot in the streets and women and children were stabbed in their homes during the attacks on Friday and Saturday.

Many of the child victims were stabbed to death in their homes after an artillery bombardment.

Amateur videos posted on YouTube showed horrifying images of dead children, with at least one child’s head partly blown away.

Another video posted on YouTube showed a mass grave filled with bodies wrapped in white sheets.

Angry residents have voiced their frustration.

“Some of the children were less than eight months old. What did they do? Did they also carry rocket-propelled grenades?” one man shouted at a visibly embarrassed UN observer.

“We are human. Doesn’t the regime fear God?” he added.

British foreign secretary William Hague said time was running out for the regime to stop violence against its people.

“It is a familiar tactic of the Assad regime to blame others for what is happening in their country, to try to get out of responsibility for the scale of death and destruction,” he said.

“We are absolutely sickened in the British Government and across the international community by what we’ve seen over the last couple of days, in particular the deaths of more than a hundred unarmed men, women and children.”
Audio: Outrage at Houla massacre in Syria (AM)

Exiled opposition head Burhan Ghalioun called for a “battle of liberation” against the regime until the UN takes action under Chapter VII allowing military intervention.

“I call on the Syrian people to lead a battle of liberation and dignity, relying on its own forces,” he told a news conference in Istanbul.

The rebel Free Syrian Army warned that unless the international community took concrete action, it would no longer be bound by the UN-backed ceasefire that was supposed to start last month.

Australia is pushing for stronger UN action on Syria, including tougher sanctions.

Foreign Minister Bob Carr has asked Australia’s ambassador to the UN to start discussing tougher sanctions against Syria with other governments.

Senator Carr described the Houla massacre as hideous, and said no effort should be spared in bringing those responsible to justice.

He also said those responsible for the killings could be referred to the International Criminal Court.

“I’d like to see sanctions strengthened, all of us would, but we want to stop short of hurting the Syrian people, ” Senator Carr said on Sunday.

The Syrian government kept up its shelling of neighbourhoods in the central city of Hama on Sunday, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

The Observatory said the town of Rastan to its south came under artillery fire for a 14th straight day.

Reports this morning said the bombardment in Hama had killed 30 people.

Rebel fighters who pulled out of the flashpoint central city of Homs earlier this year in the face of a devastating assault by the army are holed up in Rastan, activists say.

“The town is being hit at a rate of two shells a minute,” the observatory said.

Troops loyal to Mr Assad also clashed with rebel fighters in the town of Harasta near Damascus.

Australian media cycles give more airtime to the Thompson affair then to the 1,000’s being massacred in Syria – we are numbed to the fallout – out of sight out of mind. Where is the ‘human conscience – condemning it only leads to it escalating and Syria leadership thumbing their noses and saying – what aer you really going to do about it?

It puts in clear perspective where Leadership priorities truly lie and they are not about trying to stop the human carnage.

Shame! Shame! Shame!

Where is a real Leader when one is needed?  Bob Carr – this is your chance to show some Leadership and get the UN ambassador to do what ‘you’ think is the right thing.

Right now – threaten to withdraw our troops from Afghanistan and send them to Syria would make you a demigod and might just allow you to stake a claim for the PM’s job.  Shame the rest of the World and fight a winnable battle as opposed to the lose lose battle in Afghanistan.

It’s a ‘hail-mary’ play but the shame felt by the rest of the world would be put in clear view of those World Leaders all too happy just to sit back and read about the daily loss of civilian life.

_______________________________________

To have your say where it counts: – contact your Local Federal Representative and have your say – please use the links below to find your Local Member and let them know how you feel about this or any other topic that you feel strongly about – or you can just post a comment below and let off some steam.

Link to Previous EYE-BALL Posts.

________________________________________

The EYE-BALL Opinion …

 

About these ads
  1. July 18, 2012 at 12:18 pm

    great post

  1. No trackbacks yet.
Comments are closed.
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 131 other followers

%d bloggers like this: