EYE-BALL’s Herman on: Democrazy Part XIII – Thought Broker Conference – Battle of the Think Tanks
Democrazy Part XIII –
Thought Broker Conference – Battle of the Think Tanks.
By: Herman O’Hermitage
|On September 13, 2011 I posted the article 2012 Overture A Crappy New Year linked here.
As we end the first month of 2012 it is interesting to review.
Qld is now committed to holding a state election on March 24, 2012. The USA is desperately seeking anyone to hold a candle to the incumbent president, just a flicker of hope. China has decreased the helter skelter pace of economic growth, but in the Australian mining industry you would not know it. Australia’s Federal Government is looking for a miracle, wanting to highlight the Australian economic story, rather than deal with the real hardships of every day Australians. The Christmas sales and post Christmas sales numbers slowly filter out showing little prospect of employment growth in the retail sector,more like contraction, while both headline employment and job ads are in reverse, and the resultant drop in CPI is seen as hope for further rate cuts in official interest rates.
In the previous post I highlighted how the Australian mining industry has a history of getting in front of itself. The rapacious need to extract the resource and sell as fast as possible, is at the essence of this. No real value added for the Australian community.
Early last December I met with a director of a recruitment firm, an old friend. He was telling me how the European banks based in Australia, are simply not hiring at all. They have critical specialist roles to fill, but as their appetite for risk, is nil, those positions remain unfilled. The Australian banks are saying only rationalisation can maintain their growth targets and profit share and lending figures and building stats are up marginally from relatively low bases. Auction stats are simply miserable, with real estate agents promoting price stability as a good time to upgrade, downsize etc. Tightly focused only on volumes.
In USA politics, the republican contenders are now down to 3. Romney, Gringrich and possibly Paull. Never in American history has the incumbent won a second term with such woeful economic stats against them. But this year, it looks like it will happen. Obama has achieved so little, yet the opposition have simply lost the plot. They can not find a representative of middle America amongst them.
In Australia, it is the governments who have no traction. Campbell Newman only needs to wait 54 sleeps until he is announced the new Member for Ashgrove, and the first LNP Premier of QLD. It looks like a re run of the NSW state election last March. It doesn’t really matter if Campbell is good for the job, he is the only other candidate against Anna Bligh. All attempts at trying to show Campbell as authoritarian or not transparent, do not catch such is the need to affect change. Anna Bligh can add to her resume the first Australian elected female Premier and then also elected out.
At the Federal level, Julia Gillard has similar problems, however she doesn’t go back to the polls for beyond 18 months, despite what the electorate might think or feel. The odds are against the PM being in that job when the next Federal election comes around. The Murdoch press is constantly highlighting the low popularity of Ms Gillard, and if the source was credible, of course it is a natural conclusion.
The 2 biggest stories of the last fortnight tell enough. Firstly the back-flip on mandatory pre commitment and loss of support of the government by Andrew Wilkie and the the sacking and investigation of Prime Ministerial press secretary Tony Hodges. The government has no vision, accuses the opposition of negativity, and uses only opinion polls to make policy decisions. As things stand, the opposition will have a majority of at least 40 in the House of Reps after the next election. They will struggle to get anything through the upper house. What hope is there? Another parliamentary term of playing the man and not the ball.
Anthony Albanese plagiarising a speech from a Michael Douglas movie simply sums it all up. What was I saying about dud plots? At university any student caught plagiarising so badly would receive a 6 month suspension from university for their cheating.
I have barely mentioned Europe. Nothing has really changed since last June when we saw the first civil disobedience in Athens. Germany with their Scandinavian allies will save the Union when there is a commitment to a European Government.
All of this culminates in continued excessive volatlity in financial markets. Firstly currencies suffer, then the individual stocks, that comprise the various indices. The Australian mining houses and the 4 major banks have particularly attractive price to earnings ratios on an historical basis. Moreover I wouldn’t need to look hard to find another dozen. But the uncertainty simply does not go away. What happens if the Greens get their way and a super tax is imposed on the Australian banking sector. Maybe the miracle the Prime Minister needs is widening the tax base of the mining royalty resource tax.
Today on radio there was comment on going back to the gold standard. It won’t happen because of the power imbalance that occurs between Moscow and Washington. The new standard could be capping government debt at 50% of national GDP.
Recently the Murdoch press ran a headline quoting the PM, “lend me your ideas”. Could the contributors to this web site start something special?
Believing in sanity is insanity itself.
Have your say ... please be frank and respectful ... witty comments welcome ... coarse language will be filtered ... Cancel reply
|The views and opinions contained within this web-site are private and made with the intention of creating free debate among anyone who reads or wishes to make comment. All non-spam generated comments will be posted. Comments and opinions are expressed and made without personal PREJUDICE or MALICE. They are not meant to offend but to purely enlighten readers of an opinion that might not be considered MAINSTREAM. Please enjoy the site and feedback is very welcome.|
EYE-BALL Site Tag Search:
EYE-BALL Categories Search
Search Posts Monthly:
EYE-BALL’s Posts Archive …
Most Recent Comments:
Federal Election 2013
Eye-Ball’s most active Tags:
- Deaths in custody on the increase May 24, 2013 AAP
- Abbott reply 'the best in decades' May 23, 2013 Dennis Shanahan, Political editor
- Inquiry into Weipa detention escape May 24, 2013 AAP
- Air safety agencies have 'full backing' May 24, 2013 Steve Creedy, Aviation writer
- Australia may save millions on fighter jet May 24, 2013 AAP
- Ford exit the pits for industry May 23, 2013 Sid Maher and Ewin Hannan
- Libs arrogant about poll: Gillard May 24, 2013 AAP
- Schools unite to take on Gonski May 23, 2013 Dennis Shanahan, Political editor
- Ben Bernanke’s nightmare: Little Shop of Horrors – Feed me Seymour [video] May 23, 2013 ColinTwiggs
- ASX 200 & All Ords selling pressure May 22, 2013 ColinTwiggs
- China hints at bottom while S&P 500 reverses May 22, 2013 ColinTwiggs
- Market Insight: Central bankers turn deaf ear on balance sheets – FT.com May 22, 2013 ColinTwiggs
- Australia: Property risk highest in a long time May 22, 2013 ColinTwiggs
- Carney Warns Europe Faces Decade of Stagnation Without Key Reforms | WSJ May 21, 2013 ColinTwiggs
- Anna Weatherup Sings Fields Of Gold May 21, 2013 ColinTwiggs
- Emma Pask Sings Mas Que Nada [video] May 21, 2013 ColinTwiggs
- Maya The Bee Queen Of Solar Eclipse May 24, 2013
- Fleabag Monkeyface Episode 5 Gross Impact May 24, 2013
- The Avengers Series 2 Episode 15 Powerless May 24, 2013
- Fireman Sam Series 7 Pontypandy Extreme May 24, 2013
- Poirot Series 5 Episode 3 The Yellow Iris May 24, 2013
- Tilly and Friends Hector's Hushy House May 24, 2013
- Midday Report Series 2013 24/05/13 May 24, 2013
- Zigby Zigby's Parrot May 24, 2013
- AACo blames export ban for loss May 24, 2013
- Greens propose new energy savings agency May 24, 2013
- Port punt on Butcher against Cats in AFL May 24, 2013
- Take a punt on Merritt, says Hazem May 24, 2013
- Dugan at home with us say Dragons May 24, 2013
- Gillard resists call for car tariff rise May 24, 2013
- Woman attacked where her body was found May 24, 2013
- Gillard holding summit on Ford closure May 24, 2013
The EYE-BALL Opinion Site Menu
- About the EYE-BALL Authors
- The EYE-BALL AdvocacyZone
- The EYE-BALL CommunityZone
- The EYE-BALL EnvironmentZone
- The EYE-BALL FMZ – [Financial Markets Zone ]
- Herman O’HERMITAGE
- The EYE-BALL JokeZone
- The EYE-BALL MediaZone
- The EYE-BALL Movie Zone
- The EYE-BALL NovelZone -
- The EYE-BALL Opinion
- The EYE-BALL PhotoZone
- The EYE-BALL PoliticalZone
- The EYE-BALL SportsZone
- EYE-BALL Opinion
- “YUCK” Files
- EYE-BALL GURU
- Herman O’HERMITAGE
- Financial Markets
- Harry’s Growl
- EYE-BALL Stories
- The EYE-BALL Opinion
- EYE-BALL Opinion – Just Stunningly Beautiful – Jackie Evancho – With Talent like this there is amazement … enjoy -
- EYE-BALL Opinion – Budget 2013-14 – Wayne Swan about to deliver an ALP death notice –
- EYE-BALL Opinion – EYE-BALL MediaZone Growl No: 2 – The SMH’s – Mark Kenny … Chief Political Correspondent
- EYE-BALL Opinion – EYE-BALL MediaZone Growl No: 1 – The Australian’s – Adam Creighton
- EYE-BALL’s “SNOOP POOP” on – NRL 2013: – NRL 2013: Round 7 – Rabbitohs  defeat Manly  -
- EYE-BALL’s “SNOOP POOP” on – NRL 2013: Week 1 – Game 2 – SeaEagles  defeat Broncos  -
- EYE-BALL’s “SNOOP POOP” on – NRL 2013: Week 1 – Game 1 – Rabbitohs  defeat Roosters  -
- EYE-BALL’s “SNOOP POOP” on – Women journalist writing about Men’s Sport – - they had better be good -
- EYE-BALL Guru
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – A Special EYE-BALL Guru Report Part 1 -
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – When is Government a Business and – when is Government a Government -
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – Wayne Swan’s “Treasury Mistakes” – The Evidence of Incompetence – a Ponzi expert in the making.
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – Wayne Swan’s “Treasury Mistakes” – A Follow-Up -
- EYE-BALL JokeZone
- EYE-BALL MovieZone
- EYE-BALL MovieZone – Favourites Review: TV Series – ELEMENTARY -
- EYE-BALL MovieZone – Favourites Review: Oliver Stones:- “The Untold History of the United States”
- EYE-BALL MovieZone – Favourites Review: “Garrow’s Law” (2009) TV Show Seasons 1-2 …
- EYE-BALL MovieZone – Favourites Review: “Last Man Standing” (2012) TV Show Season 1 …
- F.C.A.T.A. Web Master
- Harry HOUND-DOG
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 38 – Swan’s Rubbery Figures – A “Waste of Space” Oddity … by Parody …
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 40 – The YouTube Clip that keeps on Giving – Labor’s [Gillard's] Lies and Awkward Moments -
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 39 – ZNet hosts Conroy and Turnbul – in a debate on Communications -
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 38 – Dribble from a Dribbler – Gillard becoming more redundant every day -
Most Popular Posts Last 48 hrs
- The EYE-BALL Opinion Blogsite - FRONTPAGE
- EYE-BALL's Herman on - Simplex -
- EYE-BALL's Herman on - The Tears of a Prime Minister -
- EYE-BALL's Guru on - The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget - A Special EYE-BALL Guru Report Part 1 -
- EYE-BALL Opinion - Just Stunningly Beautiful - Jackie Evancho - With Talent like this there is amazement ... enjoy -
Most Recent Posts:
- EYE-BALL’s Herman on – Simplex – May 24, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Herman on – The Tears of a Prime Minister – May 19, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – The Wayne Swan 2013-14 Federal Budget – A Special EYE-BALL Guru Report Part 1 - May 18, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Harry’s Growl on – Election 2013 – Growl No: 38 – Swan’s Rubbery Figures – A “Waste of Space” Oddity … by Parody … May 17, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – When is Government a Business and – when is Government a Government - May 14, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion – Just Stunningly Beautiful – Jackie Evancho – With Talent like this there is amazement … enjoy - May 13, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – Wayne Swan’s “Treasury Mistakes” – The Evidence of Incompetence – a Ponzi expert in the making. May 12, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion – Budget 2013-14 – Wayne Swan about to deliver an ALP death notice – May 11, 2013
- EYE-BALL’s Guru on – Wayne Swan’s “Treasury Mistakes” – A Follow-Up - May 10, 2013
- EYE-BALL Opinion – EYE-BALL MediaZone Growl No: 2 – The SMH’s – Mark Kenny … Chief Political Correspondent May 9, 2013